My most challenging print so far.
Up to now I’ve been printing parts for additional printers. Thought I would tackle something majestic.
I love dragons. Here is Aria The Dragon from thingiverse.com
But So far she doesn’t look that great.
The above was printed with Repetier Host using Cura slicing.
So, I figured out why it was so bad… Printing too fast.
Rectangular infill, 50% speed, .3mm layer.
Retraction enabled, 2mm
1.6mm shell (4 shells @.4mm nozzle size)
15 % infill – grid
I cancelled the print because something snagged and the Y axis skipped.
After several attempts, I decided to slow the print way down using the Feedrate setting in Repetier host. I set this down to 25% in a desperate attempt to get a quality print out. I was pleasantly amazed when I woke up this morning to find this on my printer….
While not perfect, it is definitely getting close!
Settings so far:
No raft or brim
Shell thickness: 1.6mm (4 shells @ .4 mm nozzle)
Top/Bottom thickness: .8mm
Infill overlap: 5%
Infill type: Concentric lines
Retraction @ 40mm/s 2mm distance
Material: Bright green ABS
The interesting thing about this ABS, I had terrible luck with it before. It would warp and banana like crazy, and I pretty much labelled it “junk.”
But after I modified my el-cheapo Jhead hot end, everything I print now prints great!